- Hits: 4392
Early in 1989, a planning group of Australian, Canadian and United States rogainers began work that led to the inaugural meeting of the IRF on June 16th, 1989, in Calgary, Canada.
The aims of the IRF are to:
- promote and develop the sport of rogaining internationally,
- maintain the fundamental principles and culture of rogaining,
- maintain international rules and technical standards of rogaining,
- promote, award and monitor the World Rogaining Championships,
- provide a focus of communication for rogaine participants and organizers.
The most important achievement of the IRF has been the worldwide acceptance of a common ethos and uniform standards for the sport. The IRF also maintains communication between rogaining groups, coordinates the holding of regular World Rogaining Championships and publishes Costigan's Organizing a Rogaine.